Thank you for all of your support in helping to make sure that Albright continues to be a bright spot in the community! Not only were we able to help the congregation of Albright United Methodist Church continue their weekly Sunday services (a huge thank you to Pittsburgh Theological Seminary for helping to coordinate a weekly preacher), 2015 was filled with opportunities to engage the community in the future of Albright. Here are a few of the highlights!
July 26, 2015 – Albright Community Block Party
- We hosted our first annual community block party with music, food trucks and over 150 friends and neighbors who stopped by to share ideas on how the space can better serve the community. Thank you to Pgh Taco Truck and Caustelot Creamery for bringing the food truck. And to Sister Friend, Thrival, Preservation Pittsburgh, East Liberty Valley Historic Society, Pittsburgh Center for Creative Reuse and Pittsburgh City Council woman Deb Gross for helping us to make this a successful event! Click here to see more photos from the event.
August 20, 2015 – Tribune Review: Pittsburgh Zoning Board considers church demolition in Shadyside
September 1, 2015 – The Bulletin: Community organizes to save local church from demolition
September 26, 2015 – Tribune Review: Old churches historically, socially important to communities
October 27 2015 – Albright Named to the YPA’s 2015 Top 10 Preservation Opportunities List
Albright is #4 on the annual list compiled by the Pittsburgh Young Preservationists of buildings to preserve. The Top 10 event was held at the Union Project in Highland Park and was a great way to celebrate Albright and to see how one church has been transformed into a vibrant community space. You can see more photos from the YPA Top Ten event here.
October 30, 2015 – Post-Gazette: Congregation fights to save old Albright church in Bloomfield from demolition
November 2015 – Friends of Albright accepted as a project of New Sun Rising
Friends of Albright was accepted as a project of New Sun Rising, a n organization that exists to support and catalize project that create social impact. You can make a tax deductible contribution to Friends of Albright through New Sun Rising here.
November 26, 2015 – 41st Annual Albright Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- 150 Volunteers from all over the city of Pittsburgh and Western PA came together to cook a homemade Thanksgiving Dinner.
- Prepared 500 meals that were served to the community and delivered to seniors in Wilkinsburg
- Watch a timelapse video of the Albright Thanksgiving dinner here.
- SAVE THE DATE! The 42 Annual Albright Thanksgiving-Eve Dinner will be held on Wednesday, November 23, 2016.
December 17, 2015 – Friends of Albright receives Mary J. Paradise Award from Preservation Pittsburgh
We are honored to have our efforts to preserve and reuse the Albright Church building recognized by Preservation Pittsburgh. We are delighted that so many members of the community have come together to ensure that Albright remains a bright spot in the Bloomfield neighborhood.